Saturday, December 31, 2016

Top Five Reflections and Goals, 2016


To finish off 2016, I'm taking a moment to reflect back on the sewing year and to set some goals for the next.

 image via British Library flickr stream

Reflections

  • Having a #sewingfail (or 3 in a row) really cramped my sewing style this year. I have to keep on without letting non-successful projects get me down.

  • When I enter contests or even sew-alongs I get sewing block - I don't think they are for me!
  • But, I also need a workplan so I always have a project in the queue. That way I will always have the next thing ready to pick up and won't waste time procrastinating on making a decision about what to start!
via Library of Congress flickr stream

Goals


1. Use my stash. My experience of having to move my sewing supplies out of my sewing area and back this fall meant I really experienced how much I have in my stash. I could sew all year without buying a single piece of fabric. That's most likely not going to stop me from doing so, but, I am aiming to use more stash than I add this year.

2. Make something for my husband. I've been promising him something for a while now, so it's time to bite the bullet and start a menswear project (thinking of Vogue 8987 right now)

3. Watch my Craftsy classes! I've probably got about 20 classes and have only watched 5 all the way though. Time to get busy with the learning!

4. Keep learning new skills - see #3!

5. Tangential to my sewing goals is a desire to improve my blog layout and photography skills. This one is a nonessential but one I still want to try to get to.


Musician June Christy sewing, via Library of Congress flickr stream



So that's what my sewing year looks like in retrospect, and I'm hoping when I do this exercise next year I'll be able to reflect that I've met some of these goals.

Wishing you all the best ever sewing year ahead!



9 comments:

  1. I've had the same reaction to competitions! Takes all the fun out of things and puts me in a bad mood after. Something for us both to avoid! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They actually put me in a bad mood too. Good to remember!!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your goals! They're quite similar to mine (especially the using of stash and watching Craftsy classes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have been more successful at your goals than I have! :)

      Delete
  3. A great, and realistic list. Even if you just do a little of each item, you'll feel like a success. Here's to a great year 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do a little, a little more often! Hopefully my sewing slump is over.

      Delete
  4. I've had a similar sewing year as you have had - not very encouraging! However, like you, I am setting my sewing goals which are very similar to yours as well. Thanks so much for sharing - it is nice to know I am not alone in my sewing arena. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I also have trouble with deadlines -- that is why I blog randomly (I would like to get more consistent but, alas, life occurs!). I need to watch mr Craftsy classes too!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even after I wrote this I started off the year with a sewalong - and promptly hit sewing block time. Argh.

      Delete

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!