Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Belting it out!

I recently made a skirt (New Look 6215) which I really loved for the design lines, mostly the pleated wrap skirt overlay across the front. This very feature, though, made it hard for me to imagine adding pockets to this skirt -- I add pockets whenever even remotely possible, as I love the convenience. This time, however, I didn't think it would work with the style.

So I pondered a bit about how I could make this practical for work. I have a loathing for lanyards, key rings that you wear on your wrist, etc. I like to keep unsightly but necessary keys out of sight. I could wear a blouse or cardigan with a pocket, of course, but what about when I just wanted to wear a light top, like the matching New Look 6217 I also just made from the same fabric?

So that was the genesis of this idea. I decided to make an obi belt, with a hidden pocket big enough for my keys. I thought that an obi belt would both be large enough to carry a pocket, and also look good with this particular skirt.

I whipped it up in an hour or two, and absolutely love it.


It was so quick, and proved so useful, that I thought I'd share how I did it, in case it might inspire anyone else to give it a go. Let me know if it makes sense, as it's my first go at trying to explain my rather free-form sewing style ;)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea and thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! It was fun to modify this simple belt to provide what I was lacking :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!