Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Ol' Pillowcase Pattern

Over my summer holidays, my sister was visiting. And so I ended up making something for someone else! We were relaxing and doing some online 'window shopping' when she noticed a blouse that she really liked. I took a look and realized it was simply the old pillowcase pattern: a rectangle with a casing.

"I can make that!" I said, perhaps a little too confidently, since she immediately replied, "Ok, let's get some fabric!"

So off we went down to the local fabric store where she picked out two glossy fabrics and ribbons for ties -- as luck would have it EVERYTHING was on sale, so we ended up getting the makings for 2 beautiful blouses for only $9! I love sales :)

Unfortunately, since I am not used to thinking about blogging my makery, I forgot all about taking pics of the sewing process! I hope this explanation will be clear.

I cut two rectangles about 25" wide, and to the length that she preferred. Then I sewed the sides up, leaving about 9" from the top down for armholes, and simply sewed a narrow finish in that arm area. Stitching down a wide casing at the neck, I threaded the ribbon through, and hemmed the bottom -- done like dinner. The second one (burgundy) was a bit more difficult as the fabric was much shinier and slipperier than the black multicoloured one, but they both turned out well in the end.

Once she put them on I realized I didn't like the way the bottom looked -- both of these fabrics had some body to them so they seemed a bit stiff. If you used a softer, flowy cotton this probably wouldn't be an issue. Fortunately they were long enough to solve the issue by opening up an edge of the bottom seam and inserting a narrow elastic to create a blouson effect. Looked fantastic! Of course, when you are as tall and slim and beautiful as my sister, everything looks great! Please excuse the headless nature of these photos, she was shy about appearing as a model :)

Here are the images:





Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pensive design

Sharing one of my very favourite "makes", a set of earrings from 2011's 30 Days of Creativity Challenge



I wear these a lot. I love them because I love fountain pens, calligraphy, stationery, and all related things; I teach journaling as well. These particular nibs really appealed to me because of the shape of the cutout for the ink reservoir -- the excitement of a tiny exclamation point was too much to pass up! They were fairly easy to make: I laid them one inside the other so that the holes for the jump rings would be even in each one. Then I taped them down to a block of wood (curved side down) and drilled the holes. Actually, I had a friend do the drill thing for me... he knows what he's doing ;) We broke the first drill tip but were more careful with the second and all was well (good thing he was wearing safety glasses -- remember, safety first!)

If you have a bag of earring hooks and some jump rings you can make almost anything into earrings. Pick an object that makes a statement about who you are, or simply something that you like the look of. Attach to a hook and there you are. Makes wonderfully personal gifts too.

Here's another example, a set of earrings I made out of fishing lures (no hooks of course!!!)


The only problem now is that I can't stop looking around the house for more earring material...

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Makery


This blog is intended as my scrapbook of sorts for all my creative projects throughout the year... from the simple to more complicated, from sewing to papercraft to upcycling to baking & cooking, really anything my magpie's eye catches upon.

Just one more way to get creative!

I'm a magpie when it comes to craft projects... a little of this and a little of that, and there we are. Something beautiful and/or useful, don't worry, Mr. Morris.
If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
William Morris

I've participated in the 30 Days of Creativity Project before, but missed out on it this year.... nonetheless I've been watching those who are following along and being inspired.

Of course Pinterest is vastly inspiring as well! (you can find me on Pinterest...)

And just lately I've discovered the Refashionista, right at the end of her year of daily refashioning! But in looking through her yearful of posts, she's inspired me to sort through my mending/giveaway pile and rescue 3 dresses and 2 skirts for a quick and major hem -- and they are wearable again.

 I also used the large gathered skirt from another, favourite old dress to cut out a blouse pattern (Butterick 5219) and reuse the gorgeous fabric from an outdated style. (with a few adaptions to neckline and sleeve) First, the original in an old photo, when I had hair to my waist and wore equally long dresses ;) Then, the adaptation, my new blouse!